Saturday 25 May 2013

The Color Keepers Tour and Review




Hoping to have a good change and good ending to go with it, Emily, a 16- year-old girl from Ohio, has moved to sunny California.

Moving to a new town can be scary, especially a new school. So when Sam, the most popular kid there, looks her way, she can’t believe this is happening to her.

Everything seems to be working out fine. That is, until her mother buys an enchanted mirror by mistake.

Suddenly, Emily finds herself in a whole new world, full of talking animals, magic and more change than she was hoping for.

With the help of her new crush, Sam, and her annoyingly goofy 12-year-old brother James, Emily sets out to save their world and ours.





This is a wonderful tale for the younger age group.  I would recommend this to children who are into the chapter books, so ages 9 and up.  

The story itself was one full of adventure. I loved how the relationship between Sam and Emily developed and I loved the sibling relationship between Sam and James.  This book had some serious moments of levity in the form of young James.  Talk about a precocious young man.  The growth of the characters during the story was wonderful.

The "bad guy" in this book is the Crow Queen.  And she is a character that you feel an amazing amount of empathy for as well as hatred.  It is an interesting mix.  

As for the ending, I won't go into any detail but I felt that the author can either leave the book here or continue on with this story in future books.

I highly recommend this book to ages 9 and up.  It may be a bit simplistic for the older teens, but I enjoyed it even though it was a simple story full of love.  I gladly give this book 4.5 stars and would definitely read further stories from this Author.

Details/Disclaimer: Review copy was provided to me in exchange for a fair and honest review. The free book held no determination on my personal review.

Catriona Crehan was asked what her playlist for this book would be.  This is what she gave me, what's funny is that I can actually picture these songs as being the ones for this book.  One of my all time favorites "The Call" by Regina Spektor is attached so you can listen along!



I would definitely have to say the overall inspiration to start the writing process, began with “What I’ve Done” by Lincoln Park.  I don’t really have a reason as to why THAT song inspired the start of the book, but it did!


I think songs that would best describe the the feelings throughout would be:


1. “The Call” Regina Spektor - This being about the overall battle between Emily, her feelings and having to overcome fears. In the end, actually missing the journey she’s taken.
2. “I’m Yours” Jason Mraz - This song definitely is the romantic song I would give Emily and Sam, the love between them just fits this song perfectly. This song helped me write how I wanted their romantic relationship to feel.
3. “Fix You” Coldplay - I feel this is Sam’s song to Emily...trying to help her open up and be the person he knows she is.
4.”Magic Dance” David Bowie - Some might find this funny, but I must’ve listened to this song over and over. It really helped capture that fantasy feeling I was after.
5.”Pocket Full Of Sunshine” Natasha Bedingfield - This song helped me pretty much wrap up the story. I imagine this playing out in the final scene.






Social Networking:
Giveaway Info-
Author is giving away 5 ebook copies of ‘The Color Keepers’

No comments:

Post a Comment