Friday 10 May 2013

The Storm Bottle Review

storm bottle tour





The Storm Bottle Swimming with dolphins is said to be the number one thing to do before you die. For 12-year-old Michael, it very nearly is. A secret boat trip has gone tragically wrong, and now he lies unconscious in hospital. But when Michael finally wakes up, he seems different. His step sister Bibi is soon convinced that he is not who he appears to be. Meanwhile, in the ocean beyond Bermuda’s reefs, a group of bottlenose dolphins are astonished to discover a stranger in their midst – a boy lost and desperate to return home. Bermuda is a place of mysteries. Some believe its seas are enchanted, and the sun-drenched islands conceal a darker past, haunted with tales of lost ships. Now Bibi and Michael are finding themselves in the most extraordinary tale of all.


So this book is very different from what I normally read.  This book is DEFINITELY geared towards the younger YA, however even adults can enjoy this tale.

Each chapter is told from a different Point Of View, this makes it easy to follow along with whose head your in.  I would have to say that I preferred Bibi's POV, but I didn't mind switching to Michaels head at all.  

The characters are well developed and relatively believable.  We have a relatively typical situation in the beginning with a newly formed family, complete with step-siblings. I found it odd that the father kept referring to Michael as Bibi's "Step-Brother", as a mother of a blended family we NEVER say Step anything.  We are one family now with all that entails.  I guess I found it a bit disquieting that he would make sure everyone knew that Michael wasn't HIS son.  But other than that one issue that I personally had, I'd have to say the rest of the characters are very likeable and easy to understand. 

I would recommend this book to anyone ages 7 and up, there are a few larger words which a 7 year old may need help with if they are just starting chapter books, but it is easy enough to read to a younger child.  And the story itself is a wonderful tale that can open up the discussion of swimming with dolphins and many other topics which I simply won't go into or it will spoil the book for you.

Personally I love happy endings and this one has a unique twist to it.  I won't say what it is.  But some will like it others won't. just depends on your own perspective I suppose.  That being said I can honestly say this book was enjoyable to read and perfect for a middle grade book.

Details/Disclaimer: Review copy was provided to me in exchange for a fair and honest review. The free book held no determination on my personal review.


Leading him by the hand towards the ferry landing, I stared past the marina into the ocean.
‘Michael’s out there, somewhere, in your body. So the first thing to do is find him.’
‘And what then?’
‘One thing at a time! You swapped bodies once already. You can do it again.’
‘I suppose.’ Rodrigo squinted in the sun. I lent him my shades – he’d lost Michael’s in the pond.
            ‘Let’s concentrate on finding him.’
            ‘Right. How do we do that, Bibi?’
            ‘What would be useful,’ I said, ‘is a boat.’



 

Praise 'I loved it... An absolute winner.' - LA Weatherly, author of the Angel Burn trilogy 'A writer who knows how to grip the imagination, make you sit on the edge of your chair, and make you laugh out loud.' - Michelle Lovric, author of The Undrowned Child, The Mourning Emporium and The Book of Human Skin 'If you only ever buy one Kindle book in your life (although that sounds a bit unlikely, now that I stop and think) this has to be it.' - The Bookwitch blog.




Author Nick Green is a UK children's and YA author, best known for his trilogy The Cat Kin, published in the UK by Strident Publishing and in Germany by Ravensburger, and also as a BBC audiobook. He has appeared on BBC radio talking about his books, and has been shortlisted for two UK children's book awards. He regularly does school visits and other children's literary events. The Storm Bottle is his first straight-to-Kindle novel.


Tour Giveaway
$25 Amazon Gift Card or Paypal Cash
Ends 5/26/13
 

No comments:

Post a Comment